Quite unlike the rest of Germany, Berlin is a cosmopolitan wunderland of art, food, and basically everything imaginable. Having only spent a few days there, I can’t profess to be an expert, however what I did manage to see, do, and eat was amazing, so check out my top threes below...
What To Do
- Urbanspree Head down to this quirkly little complex and explore the art gallery and street food vans by day, and then the re-purposed hangar nighclubs by night, in this kooky and creative area of the city.
- Bauhaus-Archiv If you’re a fan of modernist design, then this is the place to go! The Bauhaus Archive has it all, from posters from the groundbreaking design school to whole rooms set up in its signature style.
- Kunstraum Kreuzberg This converted wartime hospital is now a music school and art space, with almost every blank wall covered in graffiti, and every space hosting installations sure to make you stop and think.
What To Eat
- Currywurst Not exactly a luxury dish, this speciality is basically a Bratwurst sausage covered in curry ketchup, but you can find them everywhere and they are a German/Berlin classic.
- Flammkuchen A kind of flatbread covered with ham, cream cheese and onions which is then baked in the oven dosn’t really sound up to much, but is actually quite delicious and filling.
- Eis Extremely good (and ridicilously cheap) ice cream is very easy to come by in Germany. Priced per kugel (scoop), you can easily pile it up with every imaginable flavour and still pay peanuts.